Sunday, January 11, 2015

Arkansas Basketball Outlook 2014-2015

I’ll be honest. I’m not an Arkansas Razorbacks fan. Though I love the state, and have spent my entire life living in Arkansas I have never followed nor been a fan of the program. I’ve definitely made not so flattering remarks about the Razorbacks that some people didn’t take too kindly too. But I’m being honest and that’s all I can do! Despite all that, I will do my best to give my unbiased thoughts on the Razorbacks men’s basketball team as conference play begins.

I want to focus on a couple of different things here. First, the talent on the roster. I think we can all agree that Arkansas has an NBA 1st round talent in Bobby Portis. I don’t love that he shoots so many jump shots or that he’s not always aggressive on the boards but he can change games with his versatility and single handedly keep the Hogs in games that they otherwise would lose. I like the calmness that Durham has brought to the point guard position. Growing up in Northeast Arkansas, I remember watching Ky Madden and he was THAT DEAL! Not sure why but it seems like he never brought that confidence with him to college. He’s made mistakes this year that a senior just cannot make! I love the toughness that Watkins has brought to the team this year, he competes on both ends as hard as any player on the team. You probably expect me to say something about Qualls right? Sorry, I just don’t love his game. It’s not very efficient, but I won’t lie, it’s been effective. He just plays a little too wild and out of control for me, but hey he makes Sportscenter!!

Another thing I want to look at is the competition in the SEC and how many teams get into the dance. I’ll go on a limb and say Kentucky gets in. But unlike a lot of the national media, I don’t see them going into the tournament unbeaten. It’s a long year and conference play is tough. They have road games @Alabama, @LSU, and @Florida that could trip them up. It’s tough to judge SEC play so early in the year but I think Arkansas can be a top 4 team in the league. I don’t have a ton of confidence in that prediction though. I think the gap between teams 2-7 in the league is slim based off of what I’ve seen so far. If Florida gets healthy I think they could make a run and get to that 2 spot. Billy Donovan is just that good of a coach.
Finals thoughts..As much as I knock Arkansas basketball, I really do want Mike Anderson to do well. He just signed an extension this week. Now I’m not sure it’s deserved or not, or if it’s one of those you’re signed until 2018 but we can fire you tomorrow if we want type of extensions, but we’ll see how it plays out. As far as Arkansas getting back to the tournament for the first time in several years, I think they have a great shot at getting in. After looking at the schedule I predict them to go 11-7 in conference, and finish the year at 23-9. They finish the year @Kentucky, @South Carolina, and home v.s. LSU. If they can avoid going 0-3 in that stretch I can see them being anywhere from an 7-10 seed in the NCAA’s. Now for once I finally give the Hogs a good prediction, hope they don’t let me down!

 -Derrick

No comments:

Post a Comment