Tuesday, December 23, 2014

TOP 5 POINT GUARDS IN THE NBA


The point guard position in today’s NBA is as talented as it’s ever been. It’s faster, more athletic, and much more dynamic. Some point guards are scorers, some are distributors, and some are a combination of the two. Having so many talented players at the position make narrowing down a top 5 list almost impossible. But to me, the top 5 point guards in 2014-2015 season…
My top 5 PG’s

5) John Wall - I recently started to really pay attention to John Wall and I have to admit, I’m a fan. He’s the real deal! He truly makes his team better, looks to get his teammates open shots every time he penetrates, virtually unstoppable in the open court, commands the floor and is a stud on defense. But this was by far the toughest slot to pick. There are so many young, talented PG’s in the league that you can’t really sound absolutely crazy putting anybody here. You have Kyrie Irving, Damian Lillard, Derrick Rose (even though he’s struggling with injuries), Rajon Rondo, Goran Dragic…the list goes on. But in the end, John Wall’s ability to score, put pressure on the defense, distribute and defend, lands him in my top 5.

 4) Chris Paul- CP3 is here more by default than anything. Just from a pure talent and on-court personality standpoint, he has to be in the top 5. But it’s kind of hard to look at his resume and be impressed, given his abilities. He’s had, arguably, the most talented team in the NBA for 3 seasons and hasn’t even made it to the Western Conference finals. At some point, you just have to get it done.

 3) Tony Parker- Now you talk about getting it done, that is exactly what Tony Parker does time and time again. It seems like the only time we show appreciation for what he does is during the playoffs and it’s usually because he’s outplaying all of the PG’s that are discussed during the season. Well Tony, I’m here to give you the credit you deserve and there aren’t too many people in the business that run their team better than you.

 2) Russell Westbrook - Can we all agree that it’s time that Russ gets the same pass for being an aggressive, scoring PG that we give to Derrick Rose? I understand that he’s playing with the 2nd best player on the planet, but it’s not like KD has the mentality to go and take 30 shots a game. He’s just not that guy unless he really has it going, and in which case Russ often defers. He’s by far the best 2-way PG in the league and the best one we’ve seen in a long time. How many PG’s can go get you 25 and 8 and then on the other end and guard your best perimeter player, regardless of position? People can say what they want about Russ, but I will take him on my team any day of the week. By the way, go look at Derrick Rose’s MVP season stats and compare them to Westbrook’s stats this season AND his career stats…..

1) Steph Curry- This was easy for me. When you have what many consider to be the best shooter of all time running your team, averaging 7 or 8 assists per game…..what more can you ask for??? He’s such a threat offensively that I’m willing to overlook his defensive struggles, which happen to be improving after spending the summer playing for Team USA.

-Jalynn


That’s a cool list and all but no way can John Wall be in my top 5 until he can consistently hit a jump shot. And him being good on defense is VASTLY overrated! This the same Wall who let a d league player in Donald Sloan put 31 on em? PG’s score on Wall a lot but he’ll get a couple steals to make people think otherwise. I'll take Mike Conley over Wall any day of the week. Parker is definitely a top 5 PG but I’m strictly judging this season and this season he hasn’t been that, partly because he has been bothered by injuries. As a Kyrie fan, it pains me to not have him on my list and I understand he’s having to make a huge adjustment but he HAS to be more consistent..period. Now let me give you a real top 5!

5) Rajon Rondo – No one knows how to control the pace of a game like Rondo.  He sets guys up and truly makes them better. That’s why Dallas just gave up promising young players as well as draft picks just to have him in uniform. A player with the capability of making you a true contender. For what he lacks in scoring, he makes up for on the defensive end of the floor as well. When healthy you can’t doubt he’s a top 5 PG.


4) Damian Lillard – When I think about players in the league with that Kobe mentality to just kill his opponent I think of Lillard. Only 3 years in and he has already hit a ton of big shots. He’s a go to guy on a team with another All Star in LaMarcus Aldridge. He still plays with a chip on his shoulder from being lightly recruited and no one saying he would make it out of Weber State. Look at him now.


3) Chris Paul – 2 other guys have to be VERY good for me to have CP3 at #3 on my list. I means he’s averaging 18 and 10 this year and still playing great defense on the opposing teams best PG every night. Chris Paul is still the guy to watch when showing young guards how to play the position, and still exciting crowds in Lob City every night.

2) Stephen Curry – Just my opinion, but he is the best shooter this game has ever seen. If he gets an inch just put the points on the board. And this year he’s added the ability to get to the rim and finish even better than last year! Not only that but he makes plays for his teammates and runs the show for the team with the best record in basketball.

1) Russell Westbrook – The most dynamic and athletic player I have ever seen at the point guard position. Criticize him all you want, Westbrook is a killer who will do anything to win. If his mid-range game is on, he is un-guardable. He also plays defense and with the passion you want to see out of the best PG in the game.
 
D-Will

 

8 comments:

  1. Did anybody notice that D-Will refuses to put John Wall in his top 5 because he "can't hit a jumpshot", then go on to say Rondo is in his top 5? A little contradictory don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rondo rarely takes jump shots...he knows his limitations. Wall will shoot 10 jumpers in a row before he realizes they just wont fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You obviously haven't watched him play this year

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wall??? Plenty!! He cry on camera and all of a sudden people tryna make a basketball connection says his game is really matured and grown! He still can't shoot consistently and hes a MUCH overrated defender. Time will tell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im curious to know how come Parker isnt on Lynns list as if he isnt a world class Champ!! Leading the Spurs to multiple ships running the show! Respect him as one of the top guards! Ill acccept Breezy and Curry ahead of him...be he is solid 3 AT LEAST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My bad Lynn. I stand corrected! Revert that statement to Gotti. I see the joints are reversed. Thought the second list was yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yea I can't have a top 5 PG list and leave TP off. I've seen him destroy too many PG's in the playoffs for that. So D, what's your explanation for that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are y'all drunk?? I CLEARLY stated Parker was a top 5 OF but if I am judging this season and this season alone which I CLEARLY said I was.. then he isn't simply due to him missing like half the games so far!

    ReplyDelete